History

Agency Timeline

  • 1904: Visiting Nursing Association established in Bernardsville with one nurse.
  • 1908: (September) Woman’s Literary Club of Bound Brook investigates need for a District Nurse in Bound Brook.
    • Nurse is hired “for as long as the funds held out” and temporary office set up in the West End of Bound Brook.
  • 1909: First dental clinic in the county established.
  • 1912: A series of social workers are sent out from New York to supplement the work of the District Nurse.
    • A second nurse is added.
  • 1914: Bound Brook Welfare Society formed.
  • 1915: Miss Caroline LaMonte builds house at 339 West Second Street and gives it to the Bound Brook Welfare Society.
  • 1920: First social worker employed by the Bound Brook Welfare Society.
  • 1924: Community Chest is organized and funds the Bound Brook Welfare Society.
  • 1937: Visiting Nurse Association employs one supervisor and five nurses making over 10,000 visits in eight municipalities.
    • The Visiting Nurse Association employs a full-time social worker.
  • 1940: (March 15) The Social Service Bureau of Somerset Hills is established.
  • 1946: The Social Service Bureau of Somerset Hills adds a part-time caseworker to the staff.
  • 1948: (May 11) Bound Brook Welfare Society becomes The Community Service Society of Bound Brook.
    • The Community Service Society of Bound Brook employs a social worker and two nurses.
  • 1950: The Social Service Bureau of Somerset Hills converts the part-time caseworker to full-time staff.
  • 1959: The Social Service Bureau of Somerset Hills changes its name to the Family Counseling Services of Somerset Hills.
  • 1960: (January 5) The Community Service Society of Bound Brook and the Family Counseling Service of Somerset Hills merge to create Family Counseling Service of Somerset County.